From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help offered - Portage tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:43:39
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 14:34 +0100, Natanael Copa wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 00:35 +0100, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
7 >>> I offer my help to fix DEPEND/RDEPEND split issues which is causing me
8 >>> a lot of headaches (along with localizations).
9 >>> For reference, please have a look here: http://planet.sabayonlinux.org/?p=105
10 >>>
11 >> I'm another distro builder that uses the Gentoo framework. I can only
12 >> agree. I had to roll my own binary package format and after a short
13 >> while I had to do the dependencies myself and just ignore RDEPEND since
14 >> it was close to useless.
17 > I'm a distro builder, too, and I haven't been hitting any of these
18 > problems. Would you care to point out the actual problems, or will the
19 > "close to useless" comment be our only indication of the perceived
20 > problems?
21 >
22 Regarding the RDPEND's, there is nothing in the framework protecting the
23 RDEPENDS from be wrong. If its wrong, package still compiles and
24 installs and (almost) everyone is happy. It pulls in unnecessary stuff
25 but who cares? Disk space is cheap.
26
27 So since I build a distro where size does matter (uclibc) I realised
28 that even if I submit bugs for broken RDEPEND, there will never be an
29 end to those bug reports. Looking at this thread, it seems i was right.
30
31 That doesn't mean i dont submit bugreports. I do and I very often submit
32 a patch. But there is a limit on how much you can fix in upstream before
33 you need to go other ways. (That applies to fixing package splitting
34 upstream as well btw...)
35
36 -nc
37 --