From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: confusing ppp/rp-pppoe setup
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:23:19
1 >> /etc/ppp/plugins/rp-pppoe.so -> /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/rp-pppoe.so
2 >>
3 >> Is this symlink needed? And why is it installed by rp-pppoe?
4 >> (And is the /etc/ppp/plugins dir needed at all? What do plugins do in
5 >> /etc/ppp/plugins? Don't they belong to /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/ ?)
6 >
7 > That is the place where pppoe-server search for the plugin.
8
9 *grmpf* silly pppoe-server :-(
10
11 > Btw, the PPPoE server is the only useful part of net-dialup/rp-pppoe
12 > from Gentoo pov, the client part being surclassed by the generic pppd.sh
13 > net module available in baselayout-1.12*.
14
15 Using it right now. Works very nice!
16
17 > rp-pppoe plugin had been within ppp tarball for quite some time (see for
18 > how long from upstream cvsweb at
19 > http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ppp/pppd/plugins/rp-pppoe/).
20 > It has been contributed by RoaringPenguin but from that day on, it has
21 > been maintained by Paul MacKerras (the ppp upstream).
22 > Maybe is just me, but I consider ppp to be the upstream when it comes to
23 > rp-pppoe pppd's plugin.
24
25 OK, so i'm a little bit scared, that it's maintained by two parties now.
26 The plugin.c from rp-pppoe 3.8 differs slightly from the plugins.c
27 included in ppp 2.4.2. Didn't check the plugin.c of ppp 2.4.3 yet.
28
29 So as long as i don't experience any bugs, it will stick with the one
30 included in ppp 2.4.2