From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla: Firebird-bin & Firebird-cvs
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 07:05:39
1 Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> writes:
2
3 > Matthew Kennedy wrote:[Wed May 28 2003, 05:04:34PM EDT]
4 >> But wait! Thats what categories are for -- ie. defining some
5 >> namespace. Thus there's no need, and this more or less backs up my
6 >> argument that the category name + package name forms a "fully resolved
7 >> and unique" symbol for emerge to act upon.
8 >
9 > Actually, that's a misconception of the purpose of categories in
10 > portage. It's never been to provide namespaces; that is a side-effect.
11 > Categories make it easier for users to find what packages are available
12 > for a given type of task. That's their purpose.
13
14 Aron,
15
16 This is true. However I seriously doubt the use-case where a user
17 goes into /usr/portage/* and browses for packages that way. I've
18 never done that for the time I've been a developer and also the time
19 before that when I was a user. Of course this doesn't mean other
20 don't... I'd be surprised though.
21
22 I think it most people will more likely use the emerge search option
23 to find what they need.
24
25 That aside, using the category name to resolve ambiguous short-form
26 package names seems to work perfectly *today*, and perhaps we should
27 adopt its use officially in the documentation as it is a solution to
28 cases where we have ambiguous short-form package names.
29
30 As far as I can tell,
31
32 emerge app-editors/emacs
33 emerge app-editors/emacs-21.3-r1
34
35 do the same thing as
36
37 emerge emacs
38 emerge emacs-21.3-r1
41 I think we've uncovered two angels to this thread: 1. how to resolve
42 an ambiguous short-form package names (I propose the above usage of
43 category names 'cause it works great already) and 2. what to do when
44 the user does try to emerge an ambiguously named short-form package
45 name.
46
47 In the second case you could have:
48
49 1. emerge the first foo portage finds (undesirable, but what happens
50 currently)
51
52 2. prompt interactively (this would be the first time portage
53 prompts for user interaction afaik)
54
55 3. fail with an error message indication a long-form etc. must be
56 given to resolve one or more packages.
57
58 I don't really care either way between 2 and 3.
59
60 Matt
63 Matthew Kennedy
64 Gentoo Linux Developer