From: Anant Narayanan <anant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] {Guide,Project,Foo}XML too confusing for many devs?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:40:40
1 > Many projects have old and nasty webpages. This has been a problem within
2 > gentoo since before I arrived and probably has been a problem since we
3 > started having webpages. One of the issues I wish to address is whether
4 > or not writing webpages in XML (Guide or Project or something_else) is
5 > just too much of a barrier for many people. I've personally always been
6 > pretty much a 'copy something that works and edit the bits I need' kind of
7 > a guy. There is certainly a large body of work to steal^H^H^H^H^Hcopy
8 > from. However when something you are working on doesn't fit inside of
9 > something that has already been done it becomes very difficult to make it
10 > 'fit' into our existing XML structure.
11
12 I doubt whether any other format for webpages would allow you to copy
13 stuff directly in. You need to format in any case...
14
15 > This forces you to either ask for help from the masters of GuideXML (aka
16 > the Docs team) or try and figure out how the hell to write the xsl and
17 > dtd's yourself, or give up. Personally I think most people end up at the
18 > latter case (the giving up one). I know developers that won't even touch
19 > any webpages at all; I can only assume that they just hate XML long time
20 > and find the whole issue of writing pages complicated and burdoning.
21
22 You don't need to write DTDs or XSLs on your own for anything other than
23 changing the GuideXML syntax itself or the look of the Gentoo web-pages;
24 things that not every dev wants to do.
25
26 > So this is getting pretty long winded; my basic question is do you as a
27 > developer find writing web pages to be confusing or difficult? Is there
28 > not a good tutorial for learning our webpage XML syntax? Do you find that
29 > you bump up against restrictions in the DTD or other problems that prevent
30 > you from expressing yourself properly? Do you have any idea how to
31 > actually go about extending GuideXML (or the other XML's we provide) Have
32 > you ever tried? Could we improve training with regards to any of this?
33
34 I guess the point of last year's GuideXML SoC project was to help devs
35 who didn't find writing GuideXML *cough* exciting *cough* enough. Which
36 is why I developed Beacon [1]. Looks like the project hasn't been as
37 successful as I would have liked within Gentoo (although other projects
38 [2] are certainly considering using it!). The fault is entirely mine,
39 and I will strive to improve Beacon to a really usable level, and maybe
40 convince the Infra team to install a copy on one of our servers for our
41 devs to use.
42
43 Best Regards,
44 --