From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoostats, SoC 2011
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:48:05
1 On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:05 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Sorry, but NO.  If you want you can make a big noise message that asks
4 >> users to install the cron-job but opt-out is not an option here.
5 >
6 > Well, that's up to the Council/Trustees ultimately, but opinions (and
7 > better still reasoning) are welcome since both would no-doubt want to
8 > reflect the will of the community (and whatever is legal in the
9 > jurisdictions that matter).
10
11 It doesn't take a council vote nor a trustees vote to add a package to
12 everyone's machine.
13
14 In the end I'd recommend just looking at the opt-in numbers. Is the
15 data useful from opt-in users?
16 If the answer is no, then we can always think up other ways to get
17 more users. Will auto-installs be on the list of ideas? You bet ;) But
18 I think we are putting the cart before the horse.
21 > One option that many distros employ is a forced opt-in/out decision.
22 > During the install process they simply ask the user, and they have to
23 > hit either yes or no to continue.  The reason most people don't opt-in
24 > is that they don't think about it, and this forces the issue.
25 >
26 > The Gentoo analogue would be to put something in make.conf or whatever
27 > that must be set one way or another.  Maybe have an opt-in use flag
28 > and an opt-out use flag and if you don't set either emerge just dies
29 > with a notice or something.  No doubt somebody could come up with a
30 > more elegant solution.
31
32 The stage3 tarball doesn't even come with a dhcp client; so I don't
33 really see how installing a stats client makes sense from the
34 standpoint of 'only what is necessary.' For many people, that is an
35 important part of Gentoo (cf. python3...)
36
37 Making emerge die unless you make a decision will probably break a
38 bunch of shit (plenty of people have automatic installs in some
39 fashion.) We would have to use an existing methodology to avoid
40 breaking them (PROPERTIES=interactive?)
43 > Maybe another line of discussion that could inform the debate is what
44 > the value of this information is?  For a company, knowing what
45 > packages are popular helps them to allocate resources.  Gentoo is a
46 > volunteer effort and devs allocate their effort based on personal
47 > preference, though perhaps some would care about package popularity to
48 > an extent.  So, we might not benefit to the same degree from this kind
49 > of information, since we can't crack the whip and force people to fix
50 > some broken package that is popular.
51
52 I think at present we don't know the informations value; that is part
53 of why considering opt-out is premature ;)
56 > Rich