From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:00:45
1 On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > Also, again, this is an upstream issue, based on the packages you have
3 > installed, not anything that has changed in the distro itself.  Upstream
4 > is also working to resolve the issue already, by mounting /usr from the
5 > initramfs, to keep this sane, so people shouldn't really have to worry
6 > about this too much, unless they don't use an initramfs...
7
8 Agree. The news was a little shocking to me actually - I had no idea
9 people were doing this. I suspect it just happened as things like
10 udev went from enhancements used when you inserted something in a
11 pcmcia slot to core features used to get everything from your hard
12 drive to your mouse to work.
13
14 The more I think about it, the more it seems like we're stuck going
15 the initramfs route unless we want to become Gentoo vs the world.
16 Dropping support for udev clearly isn't going to be a practical
17 option, and the number of changes we'd have to make to get it and its
18 dependencies out of /usr is going to be a challenge.
19
20 I suspect that in the end we're either going to end up requiring
21 initramfs, or we're going to end up implementing what is otherwise in
22 dracut in openrc to get those drives mounted much earlier.
23
24 Gentoo is a bit unusual in not requiring initramfs in the first place.
25 We can get away it mostly because everybody customizes their
26 kernels/grub/etc anyway. If you're a binary distro and want a one
27 bzImage/grub.conf fits all then you need a fancy initramfs to make it
28 work.
29
30 Rich