From: maarten@××××××××.be
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiplatform Portage.
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:57:27
1 Hi,
2
3 > >> How hard would it be to extend the emerge/portage system for other OS's.
4
5 > I'd love to be able to use Portage under Solaris and RedHat (stuck
6
7 One of the major hurdles is that all prefixes are hardcoded to /usr, we
8 should probably start using PREFIX and then define it to /usr in the
9 profile.
10
11 Seems more generic to me. It would allow my organization, for instance,
12 to start using portage (we compile user packages for prefix /opt/local
13 which is NFS mounted from the server, packages "local" to the machine
14 have yet another prefix).
15
16 Once that's OK and we have a working portage on Solaris I don't think
17 there's much point in continuing the use of the Solaris pkgadd/pkgrm
18 stuff. Portage is far more flexible.
19
20 If these hurdles were fixed I could imagine portage becoming the new
21 package mechanism of choice for several distros an OS's. It would also
22 drive adoption of Gentoo even more. Consistent package management and
23 compilation are some of _the_ major hassles in system administration.
24
25 cheers,
26 maarten