From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab and localmount update, round 3
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 20:03:48
1 On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 14:13:28 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > If "/dev/disk/by-*" source paths are used for mount points in
5
6 s/source/device/. Source sounds weird to me.
7
8 > fstab, it is possible that those symbolic links will not exist when
9 > localmount starts and attempts to mount them.
10 > To force the old behaviour, you can add rc_want="dev-settle" to
11 > /etc/conf.d/localmount or add udev-settle to the sysinit runlevel.
12
13 I would move this to the end, to indicate this is not the recommended
14 solution.
15
16 > The preferred solution is to convert fstab from using
17
18 s/preferred/recommended/
19
20 > "/dev/disk/by-*" to the LABEL=, UUID=, or PARTUUID= syntax. This syntax
21 > is supported directly by both util-linux and busybox's mount commands and
22 > has no dependency on any device manager. More information on this syntax
23 > can be found in the fstab and mount man pages.
24
25 fstab(5), mount(1). It is common to use the (n) part when listing
26 manpages.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny
31 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>