From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over "gentoo-ization" ofpackages
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:31:51
2 > In one way you try to promote tinkering, only the distro has to make it
3 > easy for the tinkerers. On the other hand you want Gentoo to stay
4 > vanilla as well. I see this as a conflict. Tinkerers are not the ones
5 > who need it to be available the easy way, the ones who do not want to
6 > tinker are not interested in having it available in an easy way.
7
8 Tinkering now is inconvenient. If you know a different way to do it which
9 is not by a useflag I think that is acceptable too. I don't think it needs
10 to be easy to be non-default, but now it is in my opinion really hard.
13 > For me it's not about Gentoo being vanilla all the way, but for Gentoo
14 > to be as vanilla as possible with only the really needed extras added.
15
16 I think that should be the default too. I want to argue that in cases we
17 might have a useflag to allow people to disable the as vanilla as possible
18 and go with fully vanilla with only bugfixes. As I don't think this kind
19 of useflag should be the default in any case I think one useflag should be
20 enough.
21
22 > Not the not-so-needed extras added behind some USE flag and some other
23 > cool gadgets behind another USE flag.
24
25 I'm not in favor of all kinds of cool gadgets and many not-so-needed
26 extras. I don't mean to say I want dropshadows in kde or gnome.
27
28 Paul
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list