From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What means bup?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 02:31:24
1 On 24/09/18 03:27, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 18-09-23 21:39:01, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 6:53 PM M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On 23/09/18 22:27, Kent Fredric wrote:
6 >>>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:36:23 -0500
7 >>>> Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
8 >>>>> My hand slipped. What ever happened to assuming the best :( Are you
9 >>>>> going to ping the list every time my hand slips up and I mistype
10 >>>>> something? Not sure you'll have time for it :P
11 >>>> Personally, I would love it if more people tried harder to provide
12 >>>> meaningful commit messages.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> "bup" vs "bump" isn't really achieving much, just one of the two are
15 >>>> substantially more egregious.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> Perhaps, if the commit messages were crafted with clarity as their
18 >>>> intent, the consequence of accidental typos would be much more
19 >>>> inconsequential.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> ( I seriously think we could do with a *little* more chiding here than
22 >>>> we generally see, but like, I'm typically just biting my tongue every
23 >>>> time somebody doesn't invest any more effort than to write the word
24 >>>> "bump" in their text editor when committing with repoman, cos I really
25 >>>> don't want to be a dick about it. There's room for more than 4
26 >>>> characters and a space in the subject, and infinitely more space in the
27 >>>> body, why do we have to choose the least clear of all options? )
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Occasional accidents are still gonna happen, but it would be nice if we
30 >>>> didn't define accidents and siblings of accidents as the status quo.
31 >>>>
32 >>> I think Kent has pretty much the point here .. we try to stipulate that
33 >>> the commit message describes what the update is, and is clear for *all*
34 >>> users of the repository, and not just the relevant maintainer. There is
35 >>> also a cronic double-standard for existing or long-standing devs, and
36 >>> newer devs, recruits and proxy-maintainers (who get a double-scrutiny
37 >>> typically) - and I could easily see how this breeds resentment...
38 >>>
39 >>> Perhaps it would be simple enough to add a check to repoman for commit
40 >>> messages less than 10 characters, and with at least one *additional*
41 >>> space, mandating two words in the commit message. It seems draconian,
42 >>> but if developers continue to be lazy, what choice does one have?!
43 >>>
44 >>>
45 >> I don't see a problem with 'version bump' as a description. Sometimes you
46 >> bump an ebuild because upstream released a new version and you want to
47 >> track. I'm fairly against changes describing what was changed (typically
48 >> the reader can git show and observe the changes.) The useful information is
49 >> *why* the change was made. Sometimes its because "upstream released a new
50 >> version."
51 >>
52 >> Like Matt I'm curious what others expect to see in the description.
53 >>
54 > That's exactly why I release much of the stuff I do, I get a task in
55 > todoist via ifttt monitoring a github atom feed that a new release is
56 > out and I package it.
57 >
58 If you have automated tooling, surely it's not impossible to make that
59 tooling generate a semi-meaningful commit message on-the-fly too ...
60 just sayin' ...