From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New SYMLINK_LIB=no migration tool for review
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2017 07:50:35
1 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > Debian puts 64-bit libs in /lib/(host)
3
4 Yes, this is somewhat weird:
5 They have /lib/i386-linux-gnu/ and /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
6 but anyway they use /lib32 instead of e.g. /lib/i686-linux-gnu/
7 Their reasons for this are mysterious to me.
8
9 > Migrating Gentoo to a "multiarch" config is a larger project.
10
11 Migrating to the completely split setting /lib{,32,64,x32}
12 would be _less_ intrusive than to simultaneously omitting /lib32:
13 With a slight modification of Michał's tool (in the instructions
14 and keeping lib32 untouched) not even a re-emerge of anything
15 would be necessary (as is the case now).
16
17 This is one of the reasons why a completely split layout appears
18 safer to me than to combine it with yet another new merge we
19 have no experience with.