From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: allow -1 for ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID in ::gentoo
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 05:05:50
1 > On 29 Nov 2021, at 00:06, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, 2021-11-28 at 23:39 +0000, Sam James wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Whissi and others raised some points that I think you may have some views on
6 >> (and I'm interested in hearing them).
9 > I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think Whissi takes issue
10 > with using the package manager to manage users, period. Not
11 > specifically with our use of a UID/GID hint.
12 >
13 > I didn't respond to the first thread because I didn't want to pick a
14 > fight when the correct conclusion (IMO) was already reached. In the
15 > first thread I see only hypothetical problems raised (and a bunch of
16 > people who didn't realize the numbers are only a hint). If any of those
17 > problems are real and solved by allowing ACCT_USER_ID=-1 in ::gentoo,
18 > you'll have to point them out.
21 Yeah, that seems like a fair interpretation (and matches my understanding).
22
23 I don't really see the problem with people who want manual administration
24 just setting the relevant variables in make.conf.
25
26 What I wish we had done (and there's still time to do, albeit belated --
27 it's still useful for the remaining big bits like Apache and nginx) is
28 write a news item explaining the implications and linked to a page
29 like https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Practical_guide_to_the_GLEP_81_migration <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Practical_guide_to_the_GLEP_81_migration>
30 (which ConiKost created after we discussed how to inform users better)
31 that explains how to work around/express their preferences/give their own hints.
32
33 Sorry, I should've been explicit. The main thing I'd like to understand better
34 from your POV is:
35
36 this isn't new, but you're quite clear you feel that the UID/GID range limitations
37 are completely arbitrary and without merit(?).
38
39 Whissi essentially says the opposite: https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/17a22877f5f18dae44a2f0859d807450 <https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/17a22877f5f18dae44a2f0859d807450>.
40
41 I'd like to understand if this is just a result of beliefs about what the PM should/shouldn't do
42 or if there's genuine problems with continuing to extend the range?
43
44 I think I'd like to see sources on various UID ranges being hardcoded in places as
45 I suspect any such software may have dubious quality anyway, but that's on him,
46 not you.
47
48 It still seems like in terms of interoperability, there's little impact:
49 folks can force whatever UIDs/GIDs they want. It's not like the situation was
50 any better with dynamic allocation unless you installed in exactly the right order
51 (so some precise setup wasrequired in the past anyway, the difference is now you
52 explicitly state what you want if you need it).
53
54 Best,
55 sam