From: "Benjamin Smee (strerror)" <strerror@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default Ebuild behaviour
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:44:40
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 lo,
5
6 On Tuesday 31 January 2006 17:24, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > | That is surely a "cost" people have for upgrading an application and
8 > | have implicitly accepted by doing so.
9 >
10 > Not really. There's a basic cost of installing or upgrading an
11 > application, but there's also additional cost that comes from optional
12 > extras.
13
14 Surely that so long as it is "optional" then that is implicitly accepted
15 if they chose to use it.
16
17 > Noooooo! Not the cost from using a sucky filesystem. The cost from your
18 > application of choice having to parse all those files. Bash is a good
19 > example -- it's not particularly fast (read: very slow) at parsing
20 > scripts, and if you have a zillion bash completion scripts installed
21 > then something as simple as starting a terminal can take a very long
22 > time. It's precisely this that lead to bash-completion-config.
23
24 This sounds like something particular to your configuration and usage
25 rather then a problem for everyone. I'll accept that more files will
26 equate to some performance hit, but not something that most people will
27 be seriously impacted by.
28
29 > Sure, packages are expected to work after installation. Does providing
30 > a cron entry count as part of working? Not for some packages. Does
31 > installing a bash completion entry count as part of working? Not for
32 > most packages. No-one (sane, anyway) is opposed to decent default
33 > config files going into /etc automatically where such a thing is
34 > possible. The question is how to handle the high cost extras.
35
36 Thats precisely my point (well the other part of the point was that there
37 are a lot of ebuilds that are NOT working after an emerge and they
38 should)! I want to see a consistant way of handling the extras.
39
40 > | and here is the nature of the problem imho. Currently everyone is
41 > | making these educated decisions and it means there is no coherency at
42 > | all.
43 >
44 > Nooooo! The educated decisions include "how everyone else is handling
45 > the issue".
46
47 Thats the thing, everyone is not handling the issue in the same manner.
48
49 > Hah, I tried that with devmanual. The problem is, the worst offenders
50 > for doing perverse things in ebuilds are the same ones who won't accept
51 > any documentation that isn't official and marked mandatory and who will
52 > block any documentation of existing practice from becoming policy
53 > because it isn't policy.
54
55 Thats where I want to go with this, get agreement, get it "ratified", make
56 it policy and start enforcing it. Policies after all, should come into
57 existance to help achieve something, not as a hinderance. I'm only
58 pushing this because I think having a policy on this matter WOULD make
59 things better for everyone.
60
61 - --
62 Benjamin Smee (strerror)