From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage, SLOT, functionality, documentation, ChangeLog
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:40:15
1 > Portage has an abhorrent lack of documentation, I'd like to see that
2 > changed. Possibly
3 > (especially) before a 1.4 release.
4
5 I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Death Valley of that
6 happening, just due to time restrictions. It's certainly true, though,
7 that we do need to consolidate and improve the portage docs.
8
9 > Also, and I can't stress this enough, a ChangeLog is *required*. When
10 > key functionality
11 > is introduced, updated, removed, or significantly altered, it is
12 > imperative that users
13 > and developers alike can be easily appraised of it in a common location.
14
15 You'll find that the ChangeLog gets installed in
16 /usr/share/doc/portage-x.y.z. Of course, it might be nice to know
17 what's changed before you upgrade. The ChangeLog in sys-apps/portage
18 incorrectly points people to viewcvs on cvs.g.o, although that's simple
19 enough to fix. Slightly more difficult is the fact that gentoo-src is
20 no longer linked to viewcvs. Since portage and rc scripts are developed
21 there, having web access is really handy. Can we fix that? (Numerous
22 cheers, by the way, for the prompt return of viewcvs. Thanks!!!)
23
24 > A roadmap would also help a lot of people rest easy at night. Whether it
25 > is the case or
26 > not, it seems as if major changes take place in Portage on a whim. If
27 > they are planned,
28 > the general userbase has no foreknowledge of said plans and these
29 > changes come as
30 > a complete surprise when finally marked stable in the tree (if people
31 > even know they
32 > exist, due to the aforementioned lack of documentation).
33
34 *Grin* The roadmap _used_ to be a "TODO" block in portage.py. Having a
35 somewhat more formal roadmap would be a nice idea, and I don't know if
36 one exists or not, although I'd be rather surprised if one didn't.
37
38 Best,
39 g2boojum
40 --