From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default desktop profile
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 19:25:49
1 On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 04:31 +0000, Luis Medinas wrote:
2 > Of course you don't need to build all gnome for the livecd and i bet
3
4 Umm... yes, we do.
5
6 Remember that an offline install requires the packages to exist on the
7 LiveCD. If we did only half of GNOME, nobody could install GNOME. The
8 problem is that packages keep growing in size, so we have to reduce the
9 number of packages every release to keep up with the growing space
10 requirements. This is starting to become impossible while still
11 maintaining the package set on the CD. Honestly, I was even considering
12 switching to fluxbox on the CD so we could include more useful packages.
15 Chris Gianelloni
16 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
17 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
18 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
19 Gentoo Foundation