From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: vapier@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RE:Boot floppies
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:09:55
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> writes:
2
3 [ ... ]
4
5 > like i said, i need help with the bootloader stage to keep this
6 > thing going
7
8 if you're looking at using grub for the bootloader, it's not as hard
9 as you'd think. I've done this for building bootable flash disks a
10 bit too often. from the documentation[1]:
11
12 # But all the above examples assume that you use GRUB images under the
13 # root directory. If you want GRUB to use images under a directory
14 # other than the root directory, you need to specify the option
15 # --root-directory. The typical usage is that you create a GRUB boot
16 # floppy with a filesystem. Here is an example:
17
18 # mke2fs /dev/fd0
19 # mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt
20 # grub-install --root-directory=/mnt '(fd0)'
21 # umount /mnt
22
23 but, if we can get away with using syslinux, things are even
24 easier. we'd have to settle for FAT for the floppy, but that's
25 pretty much "whatever" anyway.
26
27 for the record, I've built a lot of stuff based on busybox (1.0-pre1
28 is finally out!) and uClibc, it's a lot of fun. if there is
29 anything I can help with, I'd be more than happy to contribute.
32 [1] from <url: http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_node/Installing-
33 GRUB-using-grub-install.html >
36 Terje
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list