From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 09:51:15
1 On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 08:41:25AM +0200, Micha?? Górny wrote
3 >> Next time such a thing happens, the discussion will happen on a
4 >> completely private media or not happen at all because of the state
5 >> of this mailing list. Is this what you really want?
6 >
7 > Here's the part you did not quote...
8 >
9 >>> If we could have a guarantee of proposed changes like that being
10 >>> posted on Gentoo-User for comment, rather than being sprung on
11 >>> users by surprise, I'd be willing to sign off this list.
12 >
13 > Note where I said "...posted on Gentoo-User for comment...". What I'm
14 > asking is for such proposed changes to be posted on Gentoo-User, and the
15 > discussion/feedback/flamefests/etc will be on Gentoo-User. This type of
16 > surprise stuff seems to happen a lot in Open Source...
17 >
18 > * Gentoo /usr
19 > * Firefox Australis UI, and dropping ALSA and going PulseAudio-only
20 > * GNOME getting a hard-coded dependancy on systemd
21 > * etc, etc
24 What value would be obtained by posting this stuff for user comment?
25 I'd also note that only one of those was posted on -dev-announce for
26 comment as far as I'm aware. Two are package/project-level changes
27 which typically don't get wide discussion.
28
29 These sorts of changes aren't being made for the purpose of giving
30 users a hard time. They're typically done because of technical
31 constraints.
32
33 Sure, it is valuable when somebody points out an issue nobody has
34 thought of. However, dropping support for /usr not being mounted
35 during early boot was something that was recognized up-front as being
36 controversial. It is doubtful that a bunch of additional list
37 contributors would have pointed out an issue that wasn't already
38 discussed or anticipated. Sure, maybe we'd get 20 people posting that
39 they don't like the change, but that would have been unlikely to
40 actually change the outcome of the decision. That basically means
41 that it is unhelpful. We already knew that a lot of people weren't
42 going to like the change, and numerous developers said as much as
43 well. The change was made because to some degree it had already
44 happened and it was the result of upstream forces that were becoming
45 increasingly difficult to work around. For what its worth, I suspect
46 that a system with /usr mounted late probably isn't much more likely
47 to break today than it was back then - we just won't necessarily take
48 bug reports if it does in some corner case.
49
50 Honestly, I think the flamefests are generally not helpful. For one
51 they tend to discourage contribution. A few have already posted on
52 this list that Gentoo is well-known to be a community with lots of
53 infighting/etc. Well, putting controversial changes out there just so
54 that people can complain about them isn't going to change that
55 reputation if we're going to make the change anyway.
56
57 Obviously there is only so much that we can do to stop people from
58 complaining, but keep in mind that every time somebody posts a "Gentoo
59 devs are out of touch" post/email/whatever it isn't exactly great for
60 PR. Most of those who do contribute do so because it scratches some
61 personal itch and so a lot of us just ignore it (which probably wasn't
62 the goal of those complaining either). However, there are probably
63 many who might get involved, and who might even listen to these
64 complaints in the future, who don't get involved because of them. A
65 lot of the sentiment in these discussions is about trying to keep the
66 useful contributions without the noise.
67
68 My main concern with the multiple list suggestion is whether it will
69 actually accomplish the intended goal in the first place. If not,
70 then the issue of social contract is a bit moot.
73 Rich