From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:38:45
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On 03/28/12 03:16, Brian Dolbec wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 19:16 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >>> But that's ok, because extensive studies have shown that the only possible
5 >>> reasons for putting /usr/portage on its own partition are historical,
6 >>> since everyone has an SSD now.
7 >>
8 >> Yeah, right.  Since I must be the only one out there that doesn't yet
9 >> have an SSD, you'll give me (and anyone else that still doesn't) one?
12 > like to say that we can't start making assumptions about what hardware
13 > people have and ignore anyone who does not fit those assumptions.
14
15 Nobody doesn't like what Brian had to say. Most everybody around here
16 including Ciaran likely agrees with him.
17
18 The issue is that Ciaran said the complete opposite of what he was
19 trying to communicate (sarcasm), and that likely due to
20 language/culture/etc that might not have been clear to somebody who
21 isn't a native English speaker in a western culture.
22
23 The allusion was clearly to the larger udev/systemd/usr issues and the
24 point he was making is that many of these boil down to disagreements
25 about what use cases you consider important.
26
27 So, just take everything Ciaran said in that particular post, assume
28 he meant the exact opposite, and now you'll see where he is coming
29 from.
30
31 Yes, I do agree that sarcasm tends to cause problems on international
32 email lists, but his post did at least make me smile. :)
33
34 Rich