From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] How to get rid of Apache2
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 22:49:26
1 On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 23:18, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
2 > (-) Should apache2 really be installed as default on ~x86 given the number
3 > of problems that myself and other users on forums have suffered,
4 > especially, when the apache2 flag is unset? I realise that use flags do
5 > not determine package installation but only optional support but this is
6 > to provide some food for thought.
7
8 Further to my last email I'd like to add the following.
9
10 (-) At the moment, apache and apache2 are under the same package name
11 apache. Perhaps, this should be modified to be two packages slotted
12 differently? This would provide the following benefits.
13
14 -- It will provide the criterion of choice without ambiguity for
15 something as critical as a webserver and will not deceptively put a
16 certain version on when the user is expecting another.
17
18 -- It will remove the need to inject a stub for apache2 when using
19 apache1 as I had to do. Injecting of stubs really should not be
20 necessary under normal circumstances on ~x86 unless using hardmasked
21 packages.
22
23 -- It will prevent apache2 being recompiled and installed when executing
24 emerge -e world when in fact the user wishes to use apache1 which has
25 happened to me.
26
27 Once again, your thoughts are welcome. I'm not promoting this as a
28 course of action but merely wish for the best resolution to be
29 achieved. The current state of affairs is inoptimal to say the least as
30 illustrated by this email and my previous one with same subject.
31
32 With regards
33 Dhruba Bandopadhyay
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list