From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] announcing app-vim
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 03:15:25
1 Developers,
2
3 Well, it's been a little while in coming, but this is the official
4 announcement for the app-vim category. There are many plugins available
5 for vim, similar to all the modules available for emacs (see app-emacs)
6 and xemacs (app-xemacs). Most of the best plugins find their way to
7 vim.sf.net.
8
9 I've created a couple eclasses to make it relatively easy to add vim
10 plugins to portage. These are vim-plugin.eclass and vim-doc.eclass.
11 The result is that a plugin's ebuild looks about like this:
12
13 inherit vim-plugin
14
15 DESCRIPTION="vim plugin: commands and maps to help produce aligned text"
16 HOMEPAGE="http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=294"
17 LICENSE="vim"
18 KEYWORDS="~x86 ~alpha"
19
20 You might ask some of the following questions, so I'll answer them now
21 before you ask!
22
23 --------
24
25 Q: If it's that easy, why aren't there more plugins in app-vim already?
26
27 A: It isn't quite that easy. The plugins from vim.sf.net can't be
28 downloaded easily by portage, so instead we repackage them. The
29 additional bonus of repackaging is that we can store the layout of
30 the plugin in the tarball. For example, align-21.tar.bz2 has the
31 following contents:
32
33 align-21/doc/Align.txt
34 align-21/plugin/Align.vim
35 align-21/plugin/AlignMaps.vim
36
37 --------
38
39 Q: That doesn't sound too hard!
40
41 A: That isn't much of a question, but I understand the implication.
42 There is an additional problem beyond repackaging that takes a lot
43 more time. Most of the plugins don't have license information
44 included in them. In order to include them in portage, we need to
45 ask the authors for licensing information. Most of the time I
46 suggest the Vim license, and they go along with it.
47
48 --------
49
50 Q: Since you're already repackaging the plugins, what's the point of
51 vim-plugin.eclass?
52
53 A: It handles installation in /usr/share/vim/vimfiles, plus the updating
54 of help tags (by calling update_vim_helptags from vim-doc.eclass),
55 and updating the "after" scripts (see :help after-directory) for
56 syntax files.
57
58 --------
59
60 Q: Why did you put update_vim_helptags in a separate eclass?
61
62 A: Because emacs might want to use it. Just kidding! Because it is
63 called by both vim-plugin.eclass and vim.eclass for updating the vim
64 help tags (/usr/share/vim/vim62/doc/tags).
65
66 --------
67
68 Q: How do I _use_ the plugins?
69
70 A: First, emerge them. Then go read the documentation on the HOMEPAGE
71 listed in the ebuilds.
72
73 --------
74
75 Q: Neato. How do I suggest my favorite plugin for inclusion in portage?
76
77 A: Provide an ebuild via bugs.gentoo.org. Attach a tarball formatted
78 like the ones already available. If there's a license to be
79 verified, I can handle that part, or you can write an email to the
80 author asking for the information, and cc me. :-)
81
82 Thanks & Enjoy,
83 Aron
86 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list