From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Underscores in USE flags
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 20:54:03
1 On Fri, 2019-09-20 at 13:46 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 9/20/19 8:46 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 > > Recently, a large number of bugs were filed against packages that have
4 > > USE flag names which contain underscores. Apparently PMS prohibits
5 > > this except when the USE flag is part of a USE_EXPAND variable.
6 > >
7 > > https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/7/pms.html#x1-200003.1.4
8 > >
9 > > I'm not certain when this text was added to PMS, or how many of the
10 > > affected USE flags pre-date this policy.
11 > >
12 > > Portage seems to have no issue dealing with underscores, so this
13 > > doesn't seem to be solving any technical problem.
14 > >
15 > > I am pretty sure that renaming a bunch of USE flags will cause some
16 > > amount of end-user confusion, for very little benefit. Is enforcing
17 > > this part of PMS really worth it?
18 >
19 > If we take this underscore rule to its logical extreme, then we should
20 > rename python_targets_python3_7 to python_targets_python3-7, yes?
21
22 Believe me, I would have done that already if not the fact that with all
23 the dependency logic around here it would be totally destructive to all
24 Gentoo systems.
25
26 But hey, expect hyphen on 3.8.
29 Best regards,