From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis version 0.6.0
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 00:31:54
1 Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
2 > Hiya all,
3 >
4 > Just a quick note to let you know that the Paludis guys are happy to
5 > inform you that they've just released version 0.6.0 of Paludis, the most
6 > popular and widely used alternative to Portage. With this release
7 > they're finally more or less VDB compatible with Portage, so switching
8 > to and from Paludis is considerably more likely to work.
9 >
10 > Paludis works with the normal ebuild tree, and can be expected to work
11 > with most ebuilds that aren't webapps. As demonstrated by it not being
12 > called "1.0", there are still bugs, missing features and general
13 > oddities; thus Paludis is not suitable for production systems, and if
14 > you care more about your data they encourage you to still use Debian.
15 > However, Paludis is now more or less usable for atleast some people, and
16 > it would be nice to get more testing from people who know what they are
17 > doing.
18 >
19 > More information can be found at http://paludis.berlios.de/ . In
20 > particular, the
21 > "Known Issues" and "Portage Differences" links may be of interest. There's also
22 > a #paludis IRC channel on Freenode.
23 >
24 > Ebuilds are in the main tree as sys-apps/paludis. Gentoo's bugzilla should *NOT*
25 > be used for Paludis related issues, except for any bugs with the Paludis ebuild
26 > itself.
27 >
28 > As it no longer will rape your dog, I suggest you check it out.
29 >
30 > With love,
31 > Christelxx.
35 My dog has long since been a fan of Paludis version. I will sadly have
36 to break the news to my dog.
39 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
40 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/