From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 05:16:07
1 On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Joe Peterson wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > wrong. bash and GNU prevail because they provide useful extensions. it
4 > > may be worthwhile to force `find` in the portage environment to be GNU
5 > > find so we can stop wasting time trying to figure out how to rewrite
6 > > expressions in ebuilds (which can be done trivially with GNU) with a
7 > > limited functionality set (such as POSIX).
8 >
9 > Shouldn't we do just the opposite? GNU find doesn't exist on all archs
10 > (BSD is an example). There was just an example of GNU extensions being
11 > used on find that broke on FreeBSD. It would be more portable to
12 > *avoid* GNU-only extensions in ebuilds.
13
14 as mentioned, GNU is the main bread and butter of Gentoo. forcing the
15 majority of people to go pure POSIX in the face of GNU extensions that make
16 life easier is wrong. so the minority gets screwed, that's life. especially
17 considering it's trivial for the minority to conform.
18 -mike