From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] i18n project
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 23:42:17
1 So, as someone might have read in my blog[1] I've been thinking for a couple
2 of days about creating an i18n project.
3
4 What would an i18n project be needed for? Mainly, to try to provide to our
5 non-English native users a more friendly environment. We discussed many times
6 in the past about making simpler having UTF-8 support, or even enabling it by
7 default, but of course it's difficult to handle this right now, and this is
8 not the only concern.
9
10 What I have in mind is establishing some kind of team that would collaborate
11 with the current doc translators that would like to help, trying to get other
12 parts of Gentoo accessible to non-English speakers. Translating man pages for
13 Gentoo-specific software, making Portage and other gentoo-specific packages
14 i18n-capable and translating them, translating forums (I think the Forums
15 stuff already handle that, but maybe it would help if we're able to get a
16 more "complete" team).
17
18 Least but not last, also translating software that's missing translator, like
19 I did for xine-lib/xine-ui/gxine and Italian this week, or at least
20 release "poupdate" tarballs with translations updated from CVS when the ones
21 in the releases are obsolete.
22
23 This might also help to find a "home" to utf8 and cjk herds, for instance.
24
25 I'm actually going to work to add to Portage (will-be-2.2) i18n capabilities
26 next week, and I'll be doing for sure the Italian translation.
27
28 Comments, thoughts, translation, are all welcome :)
29
30 [1]
31 http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2006/06/08/do-we-need-an-i18n-project
32 --
33 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
34 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE