From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lib_users, a post-upgrade helper
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:08:47
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:53:01 +0200
Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:38:12 +0200 > Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote: > > > To make a long posting boring: I've hacked up a Python script > > that does all that and prints out a nice summary. It's available > > from here: > > > > > > > > Or, for those who want to go to the tgz directly: > > > > > > Is it like checkrestart[1], originally from debian-goodies but hacked > to work on Gentoo Linux?
I've tried now and at first I thought python was complaining, then I discovered that this was the actual intended output. ;-) The problem I've always had with checkrestart is that it's too neat (I'd like to see a list of paths to files for each process, for instance), too much Debian (no verbose mode, discarding instead of presenting information it can't deal with) and not enough Gentoo. I've looked into finding time to discover in which ways I could add the necessary Gentoo-like bells and whistles, but that little project hasn't moved forward in a good while. In short, checkrestart's user interface could do with some extras, and in your lib_users "hack" all of a sudden we need not rely on lsof anymore (and yes, app-admin/checkrestart could easily drop the lsb_release DEPEND since we already know which OS we're on - before anyone reminds me). Maybe we should put checkrestart as it is right now into a Gentoo repository and start extending and improving it based on your experience hacking up lib_users? jer

File name MIME type
checkrestart-vs-lib_users application/octet-stream
lib_users-0.1.ebuild application/octet-stream