From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lib_users, a post-upgrade helper
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:08:47
1 On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:53:01 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:38:12 +0200
5 > Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > To make a long posting boring: I've hacked up a Python script
8 > > that does all that and prints out a nice summary. It's available
9 > > from here:
10 > >
11 > > http://schwarzvogel.de/software-misc.shtml
12 > >
13 > > Or, for those who want to go to the tgz directly:
14 > >
15 > > http://schwarzvogel.de/pkgs/lib_users-0.1.tar.gz
16 >
17 > Is it like checkrestart[1], originally from debian-goodies but hacked
18 > to work on Gentoo Linux?
19
20 I've tried now and at first I thought python was complaining, then I
21 discovered that this was the actual intended output. ;-)
22
23 The problem I've always had with checkrestart is that it's too neat
24 (I'd like to see a list of paths to files for each process, for
25 instance), too much Debian (no verbose mode, discarding instead of
26 presenting information it can't deal with) and not enough Gentoo. I've
27 looked into finding time to discover in which ways I could add the
28 necessary Gentoo-like bells and whistles, but that little project
29 hasn't moved forward in a good while.
30
31 In short, checkrestart's user interface could do with some extras, and
32 in your lib_users "hack" all of a sudden we need not rely on lsof
33 anymore (and yes, app-admin/checkrestart could easily drop the
34 lsb_release DEPEND since we already know which OS we're on - before
35 anyone reminds me).
36
37 Maybe we should put checkrestart as it is right now into a Gentoo
38 repository and start extending and improving it based on your
39 experience hacking up lib_users?
42 jer

checkrestart-vs-lib_users application/octet-stream
lib_users-0.1.ebuild application/octet-stream