From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PR Project Activity Issues
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:38:40
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > > Why do you not tend to commit news or approve things?
3 >
4 > PR@ is a nghtmare of spam and what I'll term 'crap.' having real
5 > things marked as such with informative subjects would be useful.
6 > having some kind of rotation would be useful
7 > having some kind of vague 'we will read and respond within 3 days
8 > unless its a holiday' would be useful.
9 >
10 > Right now the expectations of pr@ are non-existent and apparently
11 > think the mail is read and answered quickly. In reality only Donnie
12 > reads it and replies; he has a busy as hell personal life and I'm
13 > surprised he manages to read it at all.
14
15 Oh, it's not only Donnie - there's also Kurt replying and sometimes it's
16 even me and some other people as well. I'm following the pr@ alias for
17 quite some years, mainly looking for things or questions having
18 something to do with European events, things and $whatever.
19
20 I don't have commit access to the website part of our CVS though - I did
21 ask for commit access exactly one month ago when Donnie asked for
22 someone posting the January Bugday news item.
23
24 Simply put: there are other people following the pr@ alias.
25
26 > So I would like to set expectations ;)
27
28 One expectation would be to build some pr *team*. Another thing would be
29 to have an issue tracker like rt or otrs. This would make sure items are
30 answered (and if it's only a quick reply stating "we did receive your
31 mail, but we need to look at your questions and will reply in the next
32 $number of days") and would allow to use boilerplates to answer
33 "standard" questions. This would also allow some kind of escalation for
34 tickets which are due.
35
36 Another thing I'd like to see are regional pr contacts - guess it's the
37 third or even fourth time I'm suggesting this over the years :P
38
39 What's also missing and that's the topic the most questions to pr@ are
40 about is a process on when and how someone is getting added to the
41 "Where to get Gentoo" page [1] (mostly CD distributors).
42
43 Anyways, that'll all be nice things - but it all comes down to a PR
44 *team* which is obviously missing.
47 Tobias
48
49 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml