From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:19:40
1 Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 >
3 > So you're saying that Gentoo consists of projects that are completely
4 > 'silo'd up' and have no bearing whatsoever on each other. Then the
5 > DevRel project only has bearing on those who actually join DevRel. Neat,
6 > a group formed for the sole purpose of coordinating itself. Security
7 > need only concern itself with securing its members (from who knows
8 > what!), and infra can just ignore the needs of everyone else (different
9 > project!). I wonder how any of the other projects *ever* made it onto
10 > the website...
11
12 Sigh, every project can set up it's own rules for internal project
13 tasks, that means that internal docs could be a set of nice ascii art
14 and then, you have a nice GuideXML page to point to them than happens to
15 be translated on html/pdf/plaintext/whatever upon the necessities.
19 > The errata.g.o (not the summaries w/ link that emerge would output)
20 > would obviously be documentation, would obviously be governed by the Doc
21 > rules, and it would be irrelevant which staff member happened to publish
22 > a particular guide. If Gentoo really is as balkanized as you state, then
23 > it is a sad state of affairs indeed. Maybe the 'full fledged' versions
24 > should be GuideXML-lite or something, I'm not sure, but your argument is
25 > just silly.
26
27 ARGH looks like MANY people do not get what is good about xml and what
28 is not so good.
29
30 The whole point of using GuideXML is to make EASY convert to something
31 else. NOT to use it.
32
33 The problem of using xml everywhere is that it is harder to write and
34 has some work required in order to be parsed and translated.
35
36 So, if I have to set up an infrastructure that would require me to
37 generate pdf, webpages, text, younameitwegetit and to update/write it
38 not so often and not so quickly, I'd use xml.
39
40 If there is something that I'd have to write often by hand and quickly
41 and has to be used as is mostly. I'd stay with a simpler format (that
42 maybe is still machine parsable).
43
44 That said the format Ciaranm suggests for news looks ok for me. XML
45 won't add anything but slowing me.
46
47 For an errata site GuideXML or an _extended_ version of it could be useful.
48
49 lu
50
62 Luca Barbato
63
64 Gentoo/linux Developer Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
65 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list