From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] chromium-59.0.3053.3 will require >=sys-apps/sandbox-2.11 (currently hard masked)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 20:02:02
1 On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Paweł Hajdan, Jr.
2 <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 > The latest dev channel release of chromium (59.0.3053.3) will require
4 >>=sys-apps/sandbox-2.11 to build.
5 >
6 > I'm sending this announcement because this version of sandbox is
7 > currently hard masked. So is the chromium version, but with its fast
8 > release cycle we can expect it hitting ~arch in few weeks, and stable in
9 > the next few weeks. I'd like to make sure we'd be able to push sandbox
10 > to stable at the same pace, or find some alternative solution.
11 >
12 > For curious folks, new sandbox fixes a hang which occurs with tcmalloc.
13 > See https://crbug.com/586444 . The new chromium adds a code generator
14 > needed for build (inside the network stack). I didn't find an easy way
15 > to disable tcmalloc just for that code generator, and after finding
16 > above bug new sandbox seemed like the best choice.
17 >
18 > See
19 > <https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/www-client/chromium?id=f2345c0af633116a69051239ab10d858d5aea69a>
20 > for the commit which introduced this, and feel free to share your
21 > suggestions.
22
23 The sandbox blocker could be moved behind a use-conditional:
24
25 tcmalloc? ( !<sys-apps/sandbox-2.11 )
26
27 If vapier or the QA team don't drop the sandbox mask, we can
28 package.mask the tcmalloc USE flag as an interim workaround.