From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 13:41:50
1 On 7/25/2017 4:05 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > There have been multiple attempts at grasping this but none so far
5 > resulted in something official and indisputable. At the same time, we
6 > end having to point our users at semi-official guides which change
7 > in unpredictable ways.
8 >
9 > Here's the current draft:
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
11 >
12 > The basic idea is that the GLEP provides basic guidelines for using git,
13 > and then we write a proper manual on top of it (right now, all the pages
14 > about it end up as a mix of requirements and a partial git manual).
15 >
16 > What do you think about it? Is there anything else that needs being
17 > covered?
18 >
19 > Copy of the markup for inline comments follows.
20
21 [cut]
22 > ===Commit messages===
23 > A standard git commit message consists of three parts, in order: a
24 > summary line, an optional body and an optional set of tags. The parts
25 > are separated by a single empty line.
26 >
27 [cut]
28 > The tag part is included in the full commit log as an extension to the
29 > body. It consists of one or more lines consisting of key, followed by a
30 > colon and a space, followed by value. Git does not enforce any
31 > standardization of the keys, and the tag format is ''not'' meant for
32 > machine processing.
33 >
34 > A few tags of common use are:
35 > * user-related tags:
36 > ** <kbd>Acked-by: Full Name <email@×××××××.com></kbd> — commit approved
37 > by another person (usually without detailed review),
38 > ** <kbd>Reported-by: Full Name <email@×××××××.com></kbd>,
39 > ** <kbd>Reviewed-by: Full Name <email@×××××××.com></kbd> — usually
40 > indicates full review,
41 > ** <kbd>Signed-off-by: Full Name <email@×××××××.com></kbd> — DCO
42 > approval (not used in Gentoo right now),
43 > ** <kbd>Suggested-by: Full Name <email@×××××××.com></kbd>,
44 > ** <kbd>Tested-by: Full Name <email@×××××××.com></kbd>.
45 > * commit-related tags:
46 > ** <kbd>Fixes: commit-id (commit message)</kbd> — to indicate fixing a
47 > previous commit,
48 > ** <kbd>Reverts: commit-id (commit message)</kbd> — to indicate
49 > reverting a previous commit,
50 > * bug tracker-related tags:
52 > reference a bug,
53 > ** <kbd>Closes: <nowiki>https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/NNNN</nowi
54 > ki></kbd>; — to automatically close a GitHub pull request,
56 > to indicate a fixed bug,
57 > * package manager tags:
58 > ** <kbd>Package-Manager: …</kbd> — used by repoman to indicate Portage
59 > version,
60 > ** <kbd>RepoMan-Options: …</kbd> — used by repoman to indicate repoman
61 > options.
62 >
63 > The bug tracker-related tags can be used to extend the body message.
64 > However, they should be skipped if the bug number is already provided in
65 > the summary and there is no explicit body.
68 My concern on these tags is that some evangelist will come along and
69 demand that they always be included with every commit since they exist
70 in a GLEP. They add very little value, IMO, and I doubt they will ever
71 be parsed or ever read.
72
73 I would object less if the committing tool, i.e. repoman, would provide
74 easy switches for common cases for uniformity. I foresee more work on
75 my part to remember such lines and would have to look up the "current
76 syntax" as it goes through debate many times over as it already has.
77 (Both in the past and in this thread again).
78
79 Brian