From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 04:43:54
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > So I believe the cost to be quite reasonably managed, after all.
3 > Benchmarks would of course be needed to demonstrate that, but I believe
4 > it worth pursuing.
7 Agreed. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by RDBMS's at work or something, but
8 it seems like we're trying to squeeze every ounce of speed out of a
9 non-indexed flat file database and do everything we can to avoid
10 actually putting all that metadata in something that actually is
11 queryable no matter how lousy the final design ends up being.
12
13 Expressing the package database as a set of flat files works nicely -
14 especially with cvs/git/etc. Actually working with that data directly
15 on a real system doesn't make sense at all. Index it once and then only
16 open the flat files on the rare occasion that you actually need to
17 install one of them. Such an index can be centrally distributed, or it
18 could be maintained as packages are rsynced (and of course users should
19 be able to update it on demand as well).
20
21 When the speed of your package management system depends on the
22 performance of find vs grep -r, you are doing something wrong. Neither
23 works all that well.