From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] contents of /dev after initial installation
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 03:47:43
1 maillog: 02/12/2005-02:47:55(+0000): Stephen Bennett types
2 > On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 03:35:23 +0100
3 > Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at> wrote:
4 >
5 > > revealed that there are in fact hundrets of premade device nodes in
6 > > the /dev directory. And this is not only true for the box where i
7 > > discovered this, which was brought up from a 2004.x cd, but also true
8 > > for the box where i just installed gentoo from 2005.1-r1.
9 > >
10 > > Is there any reason for this ?
11 >
12 > Not all systems use udev or devfs. Plus, it's nice to be able to boot
13 > the system when your dynamic /dev management fails for whatever reason.
14
15 I don't need a fully populated /dev to get a working shell with
16 init=/bin/bash on the kernel cmdline. And at that point it is easy to
17 run /dev/MAKEDEV and get whatever devices are needed for
18 troubleshooting.
19
20 I of course assume that if the dynamic /dev management fails, then we
21 need to *recover* instead of trying to get the system up as usual. And I
22 also assume that the init scripts will anyway tell me "fatal error: give
23 root password for maintenance or Ctrl-D to continue" if I have something
24 vital missing from /dev.
27 / Georgi Georgiev / Darth Vader sleeps with a Teddywookie. /
28 \ chutz@×××.net \ \
29 / http://www.gg3.net/ / /
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list