From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Management of UIDs/GIDs
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 22:40:40
1 On Saturday 29 May 2004 06:32 pm, Barry Shaw wrote:
2 > Looks good Mike, although I'd like to propose an addition. In terms of
3 > the local site override its proposed that the ebuild checks for the
4 > existance of a /etc/portage/accounts/[group|user]/<name>.xml before
5 > adding the account. This prevents gentoo overriding site defaults, but
6 > is only useful in the situation where there are only a few site specific
7 > accounts that are local to the machine.
8
9 i dont understand ... it already does this ...
10 if /etc/portage/accounts/ files exist they are used ... if they dont, then the
11 global default is used ... you dont have to specify all accounts (unless you
12 use FEATURES=noautoacct)
13
14 > What would be handy is if we could define extra variables that reserve
15 > sections of UID and GID space. This would help in situations where
16 > there are a large number of accounts that aren't stored in the usual
17 > password, shadow and group files (e.g. NIS, LDAP).
18
19 that's the point of accounts.xml
20 -mike
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list