From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites: media-fonts/sharefonts
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 01:29:55
1 On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:27:18 -0600
2 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > In bug #218288, it was brought to our attention that
5 > media-fonts/sharefonts, which has been in our tree under a
6 > public-domain LICENSE, is anything but. Each of the fonts in this
7 > collection is released under a variety of restrictive or non-free
8 > licenses, the majority being shareware licenses that require the user
9 > to make payment to the author for continued use (usually $5 after 30
10 > days). Many of these fonts are also crippled with the full version
11 > available for a fee.
12 >
13 > As such, I've masked sharefonts for removal in 30 days. There have
14 > been no new releases since it was added to portage in 2002, and no
15 > changes excepting keywording since 2004, so I'm hoping this doesn't
16 > impact too many people. I apologize to those it does.
17
18 So it seems that Gimp's Script-Fu uses one of the fonts from this
19 collection. Also, that poopy licenses aren't really a reason to remove
20 a package. I'm agreeable to that, however a few of the fonts prohibit
21 distribution in any form without permission of the author. My current
22 plan is to remove those fonts from the package, add the individual
23 licenses for the rest to the tree, and add a Here be Dragons msg to to
24 pkg_setup. Does this seem the correct course of action?
28 fonts, gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
29 mips, treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
30 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662