From: Alexander Holler <holler@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea about signing ebuilds
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 03:52:09
1 Hi,
2
3 --On Donnerstag, Juni 06, 2002 22:33:22 -0700 Jeremiah Mahler
4 <jmahler@×××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > The goal is to have packages that are of high quality.
7
8 That was not my intention. I just want to make the distribution a little
9 safer against worm or virus infection.
10
11 Beside that, I'm of the opinion that the developer of the software knows at
12 best the quality of it. And I think an ebuild is (or should) normally not
13 more than calling configure, make and make install from the original
14 package. It was allways a miracle for me, why a debian maintainer could
15 know anything more about the stability of a package than the original
16 developer. And because portage can handle more than one version of a
17 package, it should be up to the user to decide which versions he wants.
18
19 I'm switched to gentoo because it offers me actual versions (compiled for
20 my machine) with the comfort of just calling 'emerge package'.
21
22 Regards,
23
24 Alexander
27 PS: I would find it nice if someone would describe the USE-variable 'tests'
28 in the appropriate places (e.g. portage manual). Maybe this would inspire
29 some ebuild-designers to call 'make tests' (if that is offered) before
30 installing. This could make the quality a bit higher. ;)