From: Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect_zenity: alpha eselect GUI
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:16:12
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Hey all,
3 >
4 > I've been wanting a GUI for eselect lately, so tonight I hacked up the
5 > start of one called eselect_zenity [1]. It only works for the most
6 > trivial modules so far -- it has to parse eselect output, so special
7 > parsers need to be written for each type. eselect_zenity uses
8 > (surprise!) Zenity, a shell-scripting interface to GTK+.
9 >
10 > I'd appreciate any patches you'd like to contribute to add functionality
11 > or fix bugs.
12 >
13 > Thanks,
14 > Donnie
15 >
16 > 1. http://dev.gentoo.org/~dberkholz/eselect_zenity/
17 >
18 This is something really good. I've been thinking that Gentoo could use
19 a few small GUI utilities. Items such as a notification-applet for GLSA
20 bits that affect your system. Similiar to Ubuntu's tool when there's
21 updates that need to be applied.
22
23 Additionally, I'd like to see all these utilities wrapped via PolicyKit
24 rather then using gksu and kdesu applications. PolicyKit is definitely
25 the way forward on designing custom, granular permissions and not
26 relying on root in a GUI environment.
27
28 While I haven't had much time to work on the bits, Gentopia does contain
29 PolicyKit (though the 0.7 snapshots that appear do have some issues and
30 you should stick to the 0.6 series). It's hopefully going to be the way
31 forward for Gentoo to use PolicyKit. As many may know, Fedora has made
32 this commitment and Ubuntu is starting to contribute more back and be
33 involved a bit more.
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list