From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: checking properties in ebuilds and eclasses
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 20:03:01
1 On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 09:42:46PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Why would an ebuild have to check whether the ebuild is live? Isn't it
3 > supposed to know that by definition?
4
5 See below where I talk about the ebuild version.
6
7 > > The up side of this would be that we aren't reserving a specific version
8 > > number for live ebuilds.
9 >
10 > We aren't.
11
12 In practice we basically do. If an ebuild has version number 9999, that
13 version is considered a live ebuild.
14
15 I suppose this brings up the question of one ebuild serving as release
16 and live ebuilds.
17
18 I've written a number of ebuilds like this because it seems easier to
19 keep things in sync if you do this. I'm guessing others have done the
20 same also.
21
22 If I remember correctly you are not comfortable with ebuilds like this and I'm
23 not quite sure why.
24
25 > > The down side that is being pointed out to me right now is that
26 > > we would need a function like in_iuse, but called in_properties, to
27 > > check the properties. We would need something like this because
28 > > properties supports use conditionals, e.g.
29 > > PROPERTIES="foo? ( bar )"
30 >
31 > No, that's not why we needed in_iuse. We need IUSE because IUSE is
32 > stacked and there's no guarantee that its value will be correct (or even
33 > present) at an arbitrary time during ebuild execution.
34 >
35 > in_iuse does not handle USE conditionals because obviously there are
36 > none in IUSE.
37 >
38 > PROPERTIES isn't stacked at the moment but there is a proposition to
39 > make it stacked in EAPI 8 for better consistency. Right now it is easy
40 > to wrongly assume it is stacked and accidentally override it.
41
42 Is RESTRICT part of that proposal? It would be nice to have it
43 stacked as well.
44
45 Thanks,
46