From: Bryce Porter <bporter@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] cron
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 03:32:40
1 Hi everyone...
2
3 I've been having serious problems with cron. It seems that the default
4 /etc/crontab is not getting used by crontab. After an initial install, I
5 ran crontab -e and it was blank, but /etc/crontab had many things in it.
6
7 After putting things into the crontab with crontab -e it works, but I have
8 it setup to run something once every 15 minutes and it runs things once
9 every 5 minutes instead (according to the docs and #linpeople on
10 openprojects.net, the contents are correct).
11
12 Also, the standard ways of changing the editor invoked with crontab -e do
13 not work. I tried "export EDITOR=joe" and "export VISUAL=joe" but crontab
14 -e still failed to run joe instead of vi. I then resorted to moving
15 /usr/bin/vi to /usr/bin/vi-old and ln -s /usr/bin/joe /usr/bin/vi and then
16 it STILL tries to invoke vi, but it fails saying "Couldn't open
17 '/usr/lib/virc'".
18
19 Alot of people suggested I switch to vixiecron instead of dcron, because
20 of thier previous experiences with dcron. I was told vixie
21 wouldn't have these problems.
22
23 I was wondering if there was a way we could switch the default
24 implementation of cron to vixie so that these problems could be fixed?
25
26 Has anyone else experienced the same problems?
27
28 Thanks for your time.
29
30 Bryce Porter