From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:17:02
1 On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > if we keep a dependency for a while, even behind something like
3 > IUSE="+oldnet", when we drop it, people will still be hit if they do
4 > emerge --depclean before they emerge gentoo-oldnet.
5 >
6 > Also, (although I don't really care about this much because we tell people
7 > not to do it), folks who set USE="-* foo bar bas" in their make.conf would
8 > get hit immediately with this solution.
9 >
10 > Am I missing something? It just seems like this is putting off the
11 > emerge command people will need to run for a while.
12
13 It seems to me like network support needs to be some kind of default
14 for Gentoo. A USE default is probably one of the least intrusive ways
15 to do that - and we can always have an ewarn in the event both are
16 suppressed (those who override all USE defaults should be on the
17 lookout for trouble).
18
19 Considering our default configuration ships sshd (an argument we don't
20 need to rehash here), it seems a bit silly to not ship networking
21 support by default. I'd rather not do it as part of the system set,
22 though that would be consistent with what we're doing with ssh, and it
23 is still override-able.
24
25 Rich