From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ohloh Organizations - Gentoo Linux
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:45:01
1 On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM, W. Trevor King <wking@×××××××.us> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 09:58:32PM +0100, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
3 >> https://www.ohloh.net/orgs/gentoo
4 >
5 > I'm not a dev, and I haven't really been following this thread, but
6 > all the other organization summaries start out with something like
7 >
8 > Organization X is …
9 >
10 > not
11 >
12 > In order to sustain the current quality …
13 >
14 > Perhaps it would be worth rewriting to start with
15 >
16 > The Gentoo Foundation is …
17
18 Yeah, that was my thought as well. The text was lifted from our
19 charter, which was apparently written from a problem/solution
20 standpoint rather than something that would be less time-bound. It
21 doesn't really make sense having the organization description written
22 as if it describes something that doesn't yet exist.
23
24 Gleaning from the same document, but in a more positive way, how about:
25
26 The Gentoo Foundation protects the intellectual property of the Gentoo
27 community, supports Gentoo Development, and oversees adherence to the
28 Gentoo social contract. It oversees all legal aspects of the Gentoo
29 community, so that developers are free to advance the technical goals
30 of Gentoo.
31
32 The Gentoo Foundation keeps four pillars in mind:
33 1. Gentoo provides choices
34 2. Gentoo is open
35 3. Gentoo lives for the community, by the community
36 4. Gentoo is independent
37
38 Rich