From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New single dev-python/twisted package releases in the tree
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 01:29:02
1 On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:35:25 -0700
2 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Since the mid 15.x.x releases of twisted, upstream changed from the
5 > split releases twisted-{core,names,web,...} to a single twisted
6 > package release. Our gentoo tree has been behind with upstream
7 > releases since then partially due to this change and the work
8 > involved in the conversion.
9 >
10 > I am pleased to inform you that I have now completed the new twisted
11 > package ebuilds and updated/additional/new dependencies. There are
12 > now dev-python/twisted-16.2.0 and 16.3.2 releases in the gentoo tree
13 > and I am working on 16.4.1 to get the tests working before adding it
14 > to the tree. I have been doing testing of the 16.2 and 16.3 releases
15 > in my buildbot-0.9.0 (day job) work without any issues.
16 >
17 > Currently I have added dev-util/buildbot, dev-util/buildbot-worker,
18 > www-servers/tornado, dev-python/autobahn, dev-python/txrequests
19 > ebuilds which have ||() dependencies on either the old split twisted
20 > or new twisted single pkg dependencies.
21 >
22 > Since there are no longer any split twisted-* pkg releases, any new
23 > pkgs/ebuilds should be made with either the new dev-python/twisted
24 > only or ||() twisted pkgs dependencies as the maintainer sees fit. You
25 > should also list the new dev-python/twisted pkg first in any ||() deps
26 > you add. I have come across a portage bug where the resolver was not
27 > able to solve a conflict between the old split pkgs and the new single
28 > pkg where it should have been able to. This was partially due to
29 > having the old split twisted pkgs listed as the first (left) entry in
30 > the ||().
31 >
32 > You should not introduce new pkgs and hopefully new ebuild versions of
33 > existing pkgs that list only the old split twisted pkgs as
34 > dependencies. I am sure that eventually the old split releases will
35 > be tree-cleaned at some future point.
36 >
37 > Thank you
38
39 I forgot...
40
41 The new twisted package is also mostly python3 compatible. There is
42 code in twisted's setup.py that will not install modules to a py3 that
43 are not yet ported to python3. So, there should be no issue turn up
44 during the twisted install.
45
46 I have not checked as to which modules have not been ported yet, but
47 those modules will still install to python2.7. If you have any issues
48 with your pkg using twisted under python3, then you may have to
49 restrict py3 from your pkg's PYTHON_COMPAT. As I get caught up, I'll
50 check in more detail which modules are not yet ported. If you come
51 across any, feel free to send me a note or even add an ewarn to the
52 affected twisted ebuild about that sub-modules py3 availability.
55 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>