From: "Johannes Ballé" <joba123@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild programming question
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:32:36
1 Hello developers,
2
3 I am new to ebuild programming, please excuse me asking (maybe trivial)
4 questions here I couldn't find answers for elsewhere.
5
6 The basic problem of ebuild programming seems to be that you need to map "USE"
7 options from the portage system to the "configure" options of the package
8 source.
9
10 Many packages come with the ability to auto-detect certain features, though.
11
12 One example: the em8300-libraries package provides a library and several tools
13 to run an MPEG-decoder PCI card. Some of these tools need gtk, others only
14 need a text console. A user may wish to omit installation of the gtk tools
15 (on X-less boxes, for example).
16
17 Would it be considered bad practice to put a dependency like "gtk? ( gtk... )"
18 into the ebuild, but leave it to the configure script to sort out whether gtk
19 is installed or not (hence, whether to compile the gtk tools or not)?
22 Johannes Ballé <joba123@×××××.de>
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list