From: Marius Mauch <genone@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:42:35
1 On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:00:00 +0200 Tony Clark wrote:
2
3 > 12 months ago I thought the search times where acceptable, nowdays
4 > they are pushing it and with the number of packages going into portage
5 > sooner rather than later it is going to be unacceptal. I would also
6 > suggest a centralised server approach using something like mysql as
7 > apposed to localised databases based on berekley or something else.
8 > reason being that a number a ppl are running home lans and they are
9 > increasing in popularity and there is no need to store N machines
10 > worth of data. mysql comes to mind as it is a popular database as
11 > there is a good chance that for some other application it is already
12 > running on the network. I know in my case thats so.
13 >
14 > I know this has been discussed in the past but always put down for
15 > reasons I largely agreed with, but the number of packages and times
16 > have changed. I don't mind helping out with this with some perl etc.
17 > What I was thinking on for the initial implementation would be just to
18 > store the information required for searching. I don't see a need to
19 > store all dependcies etc so the installation process actually becomes
20 > database driven. In this case the queriey times are so short to the
21 > actually installation time, no noticable speed up will take place.
22
23 I'd suggest a modular approach, so that portage can support different
24 backends (and frontends) easier. Those who want a minimal systen can
25 continue to use the filesystem while people who look for more
26 performance can use a database server. That would require a lot of work
27 on portage though, probably more than carpaski alone can handle. If
28 there is interest on the dev side I'd be more than willing to help with
29 this (although my python skills are lacking, I'm more a Java and C
30 programmer, but I'm learning fast ;-).
31
32 BTW, I also noted the slowness of the search function, especially when
33 searching in descriptions, my worst measured result was 25 minutes! Most
34 likely caused by a serious lack of ram, but half an hour just to find a
35 package is really annoying.
36
37 Marius
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list