From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rc5 - /tmp has no sticky bit
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 22:14:12
1 On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:56:55PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 09:45:45PM +0000, Collins Richey wrote:
3 >
4 > > 2) old habits die hard - you forgot to set the sticky bit for /tmp, but chmod
5 > > 1777 /tmp did the trick.
6 >
7 > We have had the sticky bit set on /tmp (in the baselayout ebuild) for a very
8 > long time. If your /tmp directory was created by the baselayout ebuild, then
9 > your sticky bit should have been set too. Could you please try to track down
10 > the cause of this problem, as it isn't a simple case of us forgetting to set
11 > the sticky bit.
12
13 OK; I think I've figured out the cause of the problem. What happens is that Portage
14 will create the /tmp/portage directory if it doesn't exist, and uses 0755 perms for
15 both. Since you built your system from scratch, Portage created /tmp/portage before
16 baselayout could be built and merged, and thus the 1777 perms were not applied. The
17 fix is for me to specifically check if ${ROOT}/tmp exists, and if not, create it with
18 the sticky bit explicitly set.
19
20 Thanks for the info you provided, as it helped me to track down the problem. Now to
21 fix this in Portage...
24 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
25 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
26 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.