From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Features and documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:47:29
1 On 11/28/07, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 19:10 Tue 27 Nov , Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > No, because this is not a realistic requirement, it's an ideal case.
4 > > People will just commit changes without documentation anyway.
5 >
6 > Here's my understanding of what you said: Because people will break
7 > rules and violate standards, we shouldn't have any.
8 >
9 > Is that accurate?
12 Kind of.
13
14 Most people follow most rules. Most people break a subset of rules.
15
16 You are essentially adding an unreasonable (in my view) rule that I
17 expect nearly everyone to break or ignore, thereby adding little or no
18 value to the project as whole. Most people care about documentation
19 in the abstract sense, almost no one cares *enough* to write any ;)
20
21 Forcing people to write documentation won't get it written, people
22 will continue to act like we just saw and either the rule will get
23 ignored, or someone will change the rule, or people will leave because
24 the rule is enforced aggressively and it has ruined the ability to
25 contribute to the project.
26
27 This is why I offered to write the GLEP for Diego and Cardoe, because
28 I know they are not interested in writing it themselves. Thats why we
29 have a doc-team that for some sick reason enjoy writing and
30 maintaining documentation.
31
32 -Alec
33 --