From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Old changelogs / eclass dir
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:01:53
1 >>>>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, Andreas K Huettel wrote:
2
3 > 1) Why is there no ChangeLog in the eclass directory?
4 > In my personal opinion this is missing there, if only for historical
5 > reasons... Should we still start one?
6
7 It's never too late. Even echangelog works in the eclass directory,
8 once you generate an initial ChangeLog file there.
9
10 > 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a
11 > certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog) the file is "rotated" similar
12 > to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date
13 > extension and a new file is started. This has the benefit that the
14 > archived file is static and will never be retransmitted by rsync.
15
16 I'd rather truncate the file and keep only the last one or two years
17 of history.
18
19 Also some subdirectories of profiles have their own ChangeLog, and
20 others don't. Looks pretty much random, e.g. why is there a ChangeLog
21 in profiles/default/bsd but not in profiles/default/linux? Probably
22 that's for historical reasons too, and we should rethink it.
23
24 Ulrich