From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init scripts and custom signals
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:35:52
1 On Monday 09 January 2006 14:22, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 09 January 2006 07:32, Roy Marples wrote:
3 > > It's been brought to my attention that dnsmasq and acpid use
4 > > start-stop-daemon to send custom signals such as HUP. While this works
5 > > with baselayout-1.11, it does not work with baselayout-1.12
6 >
7 > is this due to changes we are making in Gentoo ? i.e. we've just been
8 > importing ssd from Debian for the most part and i dont really think we
9 > should be diverging in behavior ...
10 > -mike
11
12 If so then it's undocumented behaviour - s-s-d's manpage expects --stop to
13 stop the daemon. In the same way that s-s-d expects the daemon to actually be
14 a daemon instead of a shell script that launches daemons.
15
16 This change was made months ago, has been in ~ARCH for months and only now
17 just appears? This has been in a released baselayout since March 2005. lol
18
19 A quick grep through the tree shows the following packages using
20 start-stop-daemon to send a HUP signal
21
22 capisuite
23 dnsmasq (has been changed to kill, but not rev bumped)
24 freeradius
25 netkit-timed
26 proxyper
27 hostapd
28 acpid (has been changed to kill in its ~ARCH version)
29
30 Whereas all other init scripts that send a HUP use kill or killall - examples
31 are spamassassin and syslog-ng
34 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
35 Gentoo Linux Developer