From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Patches on bug reports: thanks but no thanks for the credit
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 14:51:07
1 For a good while now, I have been obsoleting ebuild attachments on as
2 yet unassigned bug reports and pasting proper unified diffs into
3 comments. I have been doing this so that the maintainers of these
4 ebuilds see the actual changes instead of a giant blob of code that the
5 submitter of the ebuild might want to see in the tree replacing the
6 original ebuild. Previously I also posted a notice asking submitters to
7 post unified diffs instead of entire ebuilds, but this didn't have a
8 noticeable effect so I discontinued that practice in favour of
9 just posting the unified diffs.
10
11 Unfortunately, this means that I sometimes get credit for posting
12 such comments. Please make note of the ebuild/diff replacement and
13 attribute the changes correctly to the submitter, not the messenger. I
14 shouldn't be getting the credit for them at all.
17 Regards,
18 jer