From: Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: ACCEPT_LICENSE default value (GLEP 23)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 22:06:04
1 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Most licenses aren't for usage, but for distribution -- surely you mean EULAs?
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >> License and EULA is the same for most users and it's exactly the same
10 >> for ebuilds/portage.
13 > EULA is an End-User license agreement, and is to be agreed upon by the
14 > *user*. Not the person installing the program. This means they're (or
15 > should be) prompted at first start-up, not at install. If they're
16 > prompted at install, it's broken.
19 >> I don't get your point. check_license() is used to print the license
20 >> (it's probably only used for EULA's actually) and wait for user approval
21 >> before resume the merge process. The printed license is the license from
22 >> LICENSE var.
26 > Since they're prompted at install, *that* behaviour needs to be
27 > changed, not worked around. It should be prompted for every user,
28 > probably by using a config file in ~/.config/eulas + a wrapper which
29 > checks for the EULA having been accepted.
30 >
31 I don't think EULA's have to be accepted by users when launching the
32 program but when installing it. It's the way it's done in most cases in
33 Windows and it has to be done because some EULA's add limitation on
34 numbers of installations (mostly games).
35 I admit "End User" should be the real user but you can't install a
36 program if you do not agree to EULA in most cases. That's funny but some
37 FOSS on Windows also prompt GPL to make sure the user accept it before
38 installing.
39
40 Mounir