From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Contributed ebuilds and copyright questions
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 04:49:08
1 On 10/24/2016 04:18 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> You cannot currently commit anything with a different copyright notice
5 >>> to gentoo.git
6 >>
7 >> According to whom or what?
10 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html
11 > Under ebuild header.
12 >
13 > This is a Gentoo policy. Repoman will complain if you violate this.
14 > It will get noticed and treecleaned if you ignore repoman. Devs who
15 > violate the policy will be warned, etc.
16 >
17 > The policy could be changed, and there have been discussions around
18 > improvements:
19 > https://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/copyrightpolicy.xml
20 >
21 > The main issue I'm aware of with that draft is that it is painful to
22 > track who has copyright on what to put the proper copyright notice on
23 > each file. Suggestions are welcome.
24 >
25 This made me think of another scenario; let's say I have my own fork of
26 Gentoo, maintained in an overlay complete with docs, etc, under an MIT
27 or BSD license, but as a Gentoo developer, I must copyright under GPL.
28 Could I do such dual licensing on a case-by-case basis because (in this
29 hypothetical) I'm the original author of the ebuilds?
30
31 If so, then Matt's coworker could offer the same ebuild under a
32 Gentoo-friendly license and maintain copyright on Google's overlay. The
33 only question at that point would be Google's own copyright policy and
34 whether or not its employees own any of what they produce on company time.
37 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
38 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
39 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6