From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: /etc/rc.conf
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:32:06
1 On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 08:15:23PM -0500, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Monday 13 February 2006 20:07, Forrest Voight wrote:
3 > > How is that wrong? If it isn't, eselect would be a great way to switch
4 > > EDITOR and XSESSION.
5 >
6 > jesus, talk about over engineering
7 >
8 > using eselect to manage some default variables instead of simply editing your
9 > ~/.bashrc file is like using a backhoe to dig a hole for a bonsai tree ...
10 > sure it'll work, but who the hell wants a goddamn bonsai tree
11 > -mike
12
13 I have 2 :)
14
15 But on topic, I totally agree with Mike. OK, Possibly EDITOR and
16 XSESSION are better suited to somewhere else other than rc, but atm that
17 place doesn't exist, and imo doesn't warrant creation.
18
19 /etc/env.d/ (when it comes to setting a default editor) just seems very odd to me. It's not easily managed from a package perspective. It can easily just throw some random behaviour.
20
21 Of course, user specific EDITOR etc, is much better set in the
22 appropriate ~/dotfiles. System wide, all we need is a workable default.
25 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
26 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
27 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
28 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515